Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Fish Camp

We LOVE Alaska! It's so beautiful!
This is how we found Dad when we pulled in to fish camp...classic! I love it!
Dad taught Curt and Wayne how to filet the salmon. We brought it home and had it for dinner that week...fresh salmon is sooo good. 
 
Hot dogs and s'mores around the campfire...THIS is the LIFE!
There's the king! You can see the fish wheel in the background. Basically, the current of the water turns the wheel. The fish swim upstream and run into the wire basket, which scoops them up and drops them into a bucket on the side of the wheel. All you have to do is pull the fish out of the bucket with a net!  
Chase was really getting into the campfire conversation...
Love those eyes!
There's Chase in his bouncer chair in the bus-turned-camper. We LOVE fish camp. The only thing missing this trip was grandma and grandpa. It's just not the same when they aren't here, but Grandpa was too sick to come this time. I have some very special memories with Grandpa here at fish camp, and I treasure them even more now that he's gone. We will miss you every time we come to Camp Arcadia, Grandpa, but the memory of you reciting "The Cremation of Sam McGee" around the campfire will always bring a smile to my face.  

3 comments:

Jaime said...

I have great memories of fish camp, too. It is definitely a special place. And the picture of dad is classic! :)

Holly said...

I'm sad I've still never been to Fish Camp, honestly this is getting to be ridiculous. Love the picture of Dad, and love that Chase has already started his initiation into Alaskan life:)

Kyra said...

so cute- love checking in on your blog!