We have an LDS (or Mormon) church here in Barrow, but there are several members of the church who live in the outlying villages (like Kaktovik, Wainwright, Atqasuk, etc.) The members who live in the villages are able to "call in" on the phone to listen to and participate in our church services and other activities. We have members in the villages who teach lessons over the phone as well, and we listen in and participate from Barrow.
So today my mom was teaching the Relief Society (the women's organization in the church) lesson, and Patti Lloyd called in from Atqasuk! She isn't online with us very often, but she called in today to hear Mom's lesson and it seriously brought so much joy to my heart! I just love and adore her...she was such a good influence and friend to me during my Young Women years. She was one of the ladies who taught our Young Women classes at church and planned activities with us and for us. I don't remember many of the specific lessons she taught, but I remember knowing that she LOVED me. As she taught our lessons, she helped us feel the love that our Heavenly Father had for us, and the confidence he had in us to be strong and choose faith and virtue over all the things the world was throwing at us in high school. SHE had a similar love and confidence in us, and knowing that empowered us to be the young women she knew we could be. I know that each of us girls felt those things from her. Patti just radiated love. She was always happy to see me, always welcomed me into her office at the high school where she worked, always had a snack if I needed one, always had a smile and a hug and a word of encouragement. She always had time to talk whenever I wanted to, and even though I'm sure I caught her at a bad time many a time, she never let me know it. I LOVED stopping in to visit Patti because she made me feel like I had brightened HER day, when in reality, she was the one brightening mine.
I realized today when I heard her voice online that I had I probably never told her how much she means to me or thanked her for being such a bright spot during my high school years. The wonderful part is that she still is that bright spot! It doesn't matter that she hasn't been to church with us in a while, and that I hardly ever see or talk to her anymore. Whenever I do get to see her, I still feel loved. I know she is happy to see me, and she always brightens my day just as she always has.
A few years ago when I was traveling to the villages as a Public Health Nurse, I went to Atqasuk and got to see Patti at the school where she works. She immediately invited me for dinner while I was in town, and I got to spend a few hours catching up with her and her husband in their home. It was wonderful and made me so happy, like I was spending time with my second mother! When Patti was in town a few months ago she saw a bunch of cars at the church and stopped by to say hello to old friends, and I was so thrilled to see her! I seriously lit up inside when she walked in the door! I had the same feeling today when I heard her voice say, "Patti is online, too, Kelly!" She makes me happy because she just bubbles love and acceptance all over the place. She can't contain it. I hope I can be more like Patti Lloyd. I love her dearly for the example that she has been and continues to be to me. Thank you, Patti Lloyd! You are so loved!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Yes, thank you, Patti for the love and laughter, fun and friendship, smiles and sisterhood we have been blessed to share over the years. You are loved so very much. Thanks for helping my kids more times than I'll probably every know about. And thanks for loving them as your own.
Amen. :o)
I can second so many things you said - while I didn't attend school in Barrow, I also had many positive experiences with Patti, and am so grateful for her friendship, and her endless example of love and service.
when you are with patty, she just bring the party with her where ever she goes. great tribute!
Post a Comment