I have also received multiple requests (Annie) for pictures of Barrow life. It probably IS hard to imagine what it looks like up here in the Far North. So, here's a few pictures to get you started.

This is a classic Barrow picture-taking spot: The Whale Bone Arch. The arch is made out of the jaw bones of a Bowhead whale, the whale traditionally "hunted" by the Inupiaq people. (Usually people stand under the arch for the picture, but it was really cold out so we just rolled down the car window.) Whaling is a HUGE part of Inupiaq culture, it is fascinating. It has been fun to learn more about it this year. I have a much greater interest in the native culture now than I did when I lived here in high school. We are just starting into spring whaling season, more pictures to come.

Believe it or not, this is a picture of the Arctic Ocean. Just past the snow-machine tracks is the edge of the water, which is frozen for 8-9 months of the year. I have heard that you hit open water about a mile off shore (not scientifically verified information). It's really very pretty in person, the picture does not do it justice. It's really cool to see the ice formations made as the ice pack floats in and out in the fall and spring.

These two pictures are the Wellness Center, which is where I work. I forgot to take pictures of the inside, but I'll do that this week. It's my last week of work before I go on maternity leave! How did that happen so quickly?!?!


This is the view out the kitchen window of our house. We love living right across the street from the airport. It's so convenient for check-in. :)
This is just a shot of the town driving down one of the roads.
A picture showcasing some of the unique and vibrant colors people paint their homes here. Many of the homes are painted very bright, very untraditional colors. I thought it was so funny when my family first moved here in 1998, but it grows on you after a while. The winters are so dark and cold and gray, it adds a little splash of color to the landscape.
These snow-machine crossing signs are posted EVERYWHERE. They tend to think they have the right of way, so as a driver of a CAR, you have to be on the lookout for snow-machines all the time. It's a dangerous place we live in...
Believe it or not, this is the only igloo in Barrow. And it actually serves as a dentist's office. 
And this is our house! Well, my mom and dad's house, technically, but since we live with them it's our house too. They bought the abandoned building a few years ago and did a TON of work on it and now it's beautiful! My dad is seriously a miracle worker when it comes to seeing potential and remodeling buildings or homes that few other people see any hope for. He's amazing. One of the purposes of moving to Barrow was for Wayne to get some training from my dad. :) The bottom floor is the chiropractor's office and the upper floor has a very spacious two-bedroom apartment that we share with my parents, along with a really nice one-bedroom bed and breakfast. The best part is the vaulted ceilings, it makes the place feel so big. We have had a great winter living with mom and dad, but we are looking forward to having a place of our own once the baby comes. I'll post pictures when that happens. (The baby and the place of our own...)
1 comment:
Thanks for posting all the pictures, Jenna! I just read a book called "Mrs. Mike" which is about a Mountie & his wife living in the Northwest Territories during the early 1900's. I thought it was pretty good. Anyway, your pictures made me think of it. You might find it an interesting up-for-a-midnight-feed book.
Post a Comment